Friday 18 October 2013

5. Expectations – Isaac & Serena

“Is this real?”

“What do you mean?”

“Can I adjust this and will it really happen?”

“You could say that.”

“I just did (say that – that is) – my question was: will it really happen?”

“That depends on you.”

“Don't treat me like a child.”

“It's the truth – and I'm sorry about the choice of vocabulary; it really does depend on you.”

“I feel like a character in a film I once saw.”

“Interesting – what was the plot?”

“He was asking for parole after murdering somebody – but each year he'd feed them a line about how he was rehabilitated and each time they turned him down; it wasn't until he gave up trying to guess what the right thing to say was that he was set free.”

“I've seen it”, he flicks the ash from his cigarette, “ – it's a good film.”

“I didn't see you light up!?”

“What were we talking about?”, Isaac's phone went...DSC03167

“Hold on a mo'... Yes? Right – so without that she doesn't... and so we... ahhh – right, I should have known that before I came in. OK – damn. I'll make the change – leave her be. Yes – I know, let's see what happens.”, he hung up and placed the phone back inside his jacket, breathed in and quietly uttered beneath his breath:

“He relit his cigarette whilst thinking of her emotional state”

“What did you just say?”, silence... he said nothing and looked down at his feet, gently clapping his hands together as if he'd just finished gardening and was rubbing the soil from them.

“You said something about my emotional state... Oh my god! You – you're changing me.”

“And now you can do it too – to yourself, not me... If you can start to handle this properly you might find that you can do more than read, in the not too distant future. In answer to your first question: No – it would have not 'really happened'; but if you get through this next stage it might.”

“I can change myself! Fantastic! ...but what if I change something that causes me to not remember how to change myself back? I could become someone else and not know how to fix myself.”

“Terrifying, I think, but you're absolutely right; you could do that very thing and end up going up your own arse hole!”

“That's not very comforting.”

“It was supposed to be funny.”

“It's not.”

“Well – ok, 'that's what I'm here for, to keep you safe...'”

“Why do I find that hard to believe?”

“Because I'm in a comedic mood and the – oh forget it; just try it out will you?”

No comments:

Post a Comment